Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Opal Divines





IGDA - International Gaming Developers Association was having their monthly happy hour event at Opal Divines. Rob and I were invited to this event through a guy he met recently in the gaming industry so we decided to go to meet some new people and mingle, network, etc. We met and talked to a few of the guys there who were all very nice and welcoming. After having been there for a few minutes, I realized one of the guys looked familiar. I told Rob of my suspicions of this one guy looking very familiar and figured out where we knew him from. He and his wife were selling their house and Rob and I had been to his open house a while back! He and his wife are both in the gaming industry, his wife being on the recruiting side of the business. His wife was traveling at that time so we only met Mike but had heard about his wife, Robin. Rob introduced himself and had connected with her on LinkedIn but had not yet met in person. We immediately went and talked to Mike and he remembered us as well from being at his open house! What a small world. We told Mike about how Rob and connected to Robin on LinkedIn, etc. and he told us that Robin was there at the happy hour as well. We were able to meet Robin in person. Rob also met another woman, Amy, in HR, who immediately warmed up to Rob and was willing to help him. I also met and talked to a guy who had a lot of information for me. He works for a company that I had applied to and told me about how they were moving everyone to Seattle. No wonder they never called me back about my application! What a successful outing that was! We met some wonderful people, reconnected with others we've previously met, and made some new connections and friends...

No comments: